I want to say one word to you. Just one word.... Plastics.”
--
Mr. McGuire, The Graduate


Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend in Pittsburgh

I went to Pittsburgh over the weekend for the opening of my solo show 24 Hours in the Subway at Box Heart Gallery (www.boxheart.org/nn/wrkshps.html). It was a refreshing 92 degrees there... The opening was fantastic (I sold 5 drawings) and Nicole, the gallery owner, did an amazing job hanging the show and organizing the reception. Thank you to all who came by and gave me great feedback and complimented the work. Check it out if you are in the area!

Box Heart Gallery is in a great neighborhood that reminds me a little bit of what Williamsburg in Brooklyn used to be: an old Italian neighborhood that has great galleries, artists, and (thankfully) no hipsters. Pittsburgh is becoming one of my favorite destinations: I love all the steel bridges, the hilly neighborhood and the friendly people (I heard honking only once in 2 days!). It's also affordable and very artist friendly.

I, of course, could not resist doing a knitting workshop on Sunday while I was there. Some of the guests who were going to attend the opening wanted to donate plastic bags, so one thing led to another and we had a lesson in how to knit with plastic at the gallery. I brought cookies from my favorite bakery in Bay Ridge, and folks brought more pastries for the knitters. A diet weekend, it was not! I also discovered hot cakes on Sunday morning at Pamela's diner on Forbes Ave: a mix of crepe and pancakes, usually served with fruit and cream. I took mine plain, accompanied by eggs, sausage and potatoes. Very reasonable!

I had time after the workshop to go to the Frick Museum in Pittsburgh that had a really nice PAN print exhibit. Best of all, it was free. Just wanted to make sure you knew I'm still thrifty.

In all, I left Brooklyn with a suitcase full of knitting needles and a couple of t-shirts, and came back with a suitcase full of knitting needles, dirty t-shirts and a ton of plastic bags. The local supermarket has blue bags, so I am completely thrilled. Below are some of the photos from the show and the workshop. I will be back on Governors Island this weekend July 30th. I can't wait to show my trees to our friends John and Theresa who will be visiting then.

24 Hours in the Subway at Box Heart

The Sunday workshop

Nicole happily cutting bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment